Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What is on my mind.....

I have had a lot of things on my mind lately and I'm just going to write and try to get all of my thoughts out.  I've never understood why people get sick?  How are they chosen?  Why not me?  I don't want to be sick but how am I so lucky in my health?   My Grandfathers had heart disease and cancer that eventually took their lives but I was so young and naive then that it hurt but it didn't seem 'questionable' because they are my Grandparents and they are older and it just kind of made sense.  But now that I am older and I do understand more and it doesn't matter your age but yet it does if you haven't had the chance to live yet.....

A couple of years ago my 'second' father died of a Brain Aneurysm.  It was very sudden and I hadn't talked to him in a long time, I didn't get to say goodbye.  I'm not sure I would have wanted to say goodbye but I didn't get the chance to decide.  How do you say goodbye to someone you love?  Christy is the sister of my good friend Amy, and she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer this past summer.  Christy is only in her 30's, she is young and has 3 young girls.  She has had a double mastectomy and is now undergoing chemotherapy.  Michele Hall, the sister of one of Lee's good friends growing up (and still) was just diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer.  Michele is 30.  The cancer has spread to her back, chest, and lymph nodes.  She doesn't have health insurance but will receive Medicaid until the end of the year.  Because she qualifies for Social Security (she will start getting SS checks in January 2010) she no longer qualifies for Medicaid and will not be covered as of January 1, 2010.  I don't understand this but I am learning.  I have a link to Michele's blog on the right.  They are having several different events to raise money for her treatments, etc.  One of the events is a Garage Sale to be held October 23rd and 24th.  If anyone reading this has some things to go in a garage sale but maybe not enough to do your own, please donate them.  I will pick them up and make sure they get to the church where the Garage Sale will be held.  All they ask is that they are priced already.  If you don't want to price them, I will.  I have clothes that I was going to take to the Salvation Army but will donate.  I hope in a small way I am helping. 

I know that I will be challenged over and over with understanding and with my faith.  I know that there are so many healthy people in this world.  I just wonder why and how the 'chosen ones' get sick?  I have a strong belief in 'things happen for a reason'.  Sometimes I think I use that as an excuse so that I don't have to understand, so that I don't have to be sad, so that I can just move on without being affected.  Although, in most cases the things really do happen for a reason.  That reason may not present itself until later but it is there.  Being challenged by your faith or by understanding a difficult situation and how you handle it will only make you stronger. 

My prayers are stronger today and for the future.  I will try to love more and harder.  I will try to be better.  For those that have the time, please say a prayer for the families that have been affected by these terrible diseases.  And if you have more time, do something that you wouldn't normally do.  Buy something for yourself, or compliment someone else.  Do something for your parents.  Let everyone know how much you love them, now is not the time to hold back.

No comments: